Saturday, 13 June 2015

Sweden's Prince Carl Philip Marries Sofia Hellqvist

I do love a royal wedding, don't you? Sweden's Prince Carl Philip married Sofia Hellqvist today in a beautiful ceremony in the chapel at Stockholm's Royal Palace.

Kungahuset

Prince Carl Philip with his best man.


Sofia's father Erik Hellqvist walked his her down the aisle to an arrangement of Athair ar Neamh by Irish singer-songwriter Enya., where she was met by husband-to-be. Both Carl Philip and his sister Victoria were seen wiping away a few tears of joy.


The couple chose a colourful selection of music for the wedding service. The variation ranged from Hymn 200 - Go Seek, My heart, The Joys of life to Rhianna's Umbrella and Coldplay's Fix You. Despite the magnitude of the event, Carl Philip and Sofia added plenty of personal touches ensuring their personal stamp was there. Prince Carl Philip revealed "We wanted to make it our day" during a pre-wedding interview.


A general view of the Palace before the wedding began.


The floral decorations for the Royal Wedding followed the colour scheme chosen by the couple for their invitations, mixed with natural elements. The colour scheme ranged in tones from cream to coral. The flowers chosen were roses, hydrangea, carnations, sweet peas, peonies and fuchsia. The natural elements were twigs of birch and raspberry, wild chervil and ferns.

Kungahuset

Sofia looked stunning in a timeless gown by Swedish designer Ida Sjostedt. The dress is made from silk crepe overlaid with Italian silk organza. Couture lace made by José María Ruiz was applied to the dress and the train was hand-cut and then hand-stitched in Ida Sjöstedt's atelier in Stockholm.


A look at the train.


The gown was created in three shades of white. Below, we see a sketch of the wedding dress.

Kungahuset

The veil in thin bridal tulle was also hand-embroidered with sheer cotton lace. The bride's hair and make-up were by Marwan Hitti and William Värnild. There was much speculation regarding which tiara Sofia would wear for her wedding, and the striking emerald and diamond creation is new - it was a gift from the King and the Queen.


The bride carried a cascade style bouquet of garden roses with a traditional sprig of myrtle from Sofiero. The flowers were in shades of cream and coral. 

Kungahuset

The couple exchanging their vows.



Sofia who will be styled as HRH Princess Sofia, Duchess of Varmland.

A lovely shot of Sofia and Victoria.


The guest list was filled with royals (pretty much a tiara lovers dream). 


The Earl and Countess of Wessex represented Her Majesty today. Sophie looked elegant in a gown by Tatana Kovarikova, a Czech designer, the gown was an official gift on her recent trip to Prague. The jewels were loaned to Sophie by The Queen. Sophie's aquamarine tiara is by G. Collins & Sons, a piece we haven't seen her wear in some time.


Crown Princess Victoria selected a dress from the H & M conscious collection and completed the look with the diamond Connaught tiara.

Princess Madeleine looked radiant in a flowing gown thought to be Elie Saab and the Modern Fringe tiara.


Proud parents the King and Queen.


Prince Mary looked elegant in a blue gown.


Prince Joachim and Princess Marie.


Queen Margrethe II was regal in red.


Another stylish look from Queen Mathilde.


Crown Princess Mette-Marit opted for a pink print Giambattista Valli ensemble.


Queen Maxima looked dazzling in a gown by Jan Taminiau and jaw-dropping jewels. It was a very elegant look for the Queen and perhaps my favourite wedding guest ensemble.


After the wedding, the bride and groom were taken by horse and carriage from the Royal Palace of Stockholm along the Outer Courtyard, Slottsbacken, Skeppsbron, Slottskajen, Norrbro, Regeringsgatan, Hamngatan, Nybroplan, Nybrokajen, Hovslagargatan, Södra Blasieholmshamnen and Strömbron, ending below Logården.


Immediately after their arrival at Logården, a 21-gun salute was fired at five second intervals from Skeppsholmen. The Swedish Armed Forces paraded along the route of the cortège and on arrival at Logården.


The couple then arrived back at the royal palace where a lavish dinner took place in the opulent White Sea Hall, followed by dancing in Karl XI's Gallery.


The bride and groom.


Maxima and Mette-Marit mingling at the reception.


I'm interested to see Sofia's role develop within the royal family and to see which areas she lends her support. Undoubtedly, many of the headlines you'll read today will focus on her past, and many will omit to mention she co-founded the Project Playground in 2010, a charity which helps disadvantaged children in South Africa. She has also worked as a volunteer in several African countries.


A huge congratulations to the happy couple!


The official wedding portraits were a delight to see.

Kongehuset

The royal couple with their respective sisters - Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Madeleine and Lina and Sara Hellqvist.

Kongehuset

You can watch the wedding on You Tube.


We'll be updating this blog frequently from now on, so please do visit again :)

38 comments:

  1. Fabulous round-up Charlotte, thank you! I loved the flowers today and thought the couple were totally besotted with each other and it was very moving at times.

    Sophie looked lovely and yes, it was a tiara lovers dream - happy royal fan here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Penelope,

      Lovely to see you over here :)

      Delete
  2. It was such an emotional ceremony! I watched it live and Victoria was wiping long before Sofia arrived. She seems to have a special connection with her brother (and it was quite funny to watch her making everyone getting up once Carl Philip walked down the aisle).
    Honestly I don't like the dress. I was expecting more and by more I mean no lace! And there's something weird happening with the neck lines, well at least for me! But all the best to the happy couple and I bet their kids will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the ceremony, although I'm going to go see if I can find it on youtube at some point, but I thought Sofia looked absolutely lovely. Beautiful dress, GORGEOUS flowers, and loved her hair and makeup. The tiara was nice as well. She and Carl Phillip looked so happy; it was lovely to see. I thought she aquitted herself beautifully today.

    I LOVE that Victoria wore H&M with a fabulous blingy tiara. Amazing. But the most fabulous by far was Maxima. Absolutely stunning; I totally agree she was most definitely the best dressed guest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy from California14 June 2015 at 19:07

      I completely agree with you bluhare: Queen Maxima was absolutely stunning. She is a beautiful lady.

      Delete
  4. PS Charlotte, Am I mistaken or have you changed the look of this page? I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bluhare,

      It is, I'm experimenting with different colours and layouts. The Kate blog actually started out neon pink, before baby pink and finally purple :)

      Delete
    2. I like this one, Charlotte. It's nicely separate from the Kate colors yet stays with the theme.

      Delete
  5. Vowwww thank you for the detailed and lovely coverage! I loved the bride's look, the bridegroom looked dashing too. Sophie was pretty but my fave was Queen Maxima and Mathilde. They both looked great!!! All the best for the happy couple.:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Princess Madeleine is in Elie Saab. I remember seeing this dress on net-a-porter a few months ago http://www.net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/506021. It is actually now on sale, but I still cannot (unfortunately) afford the over $5000 price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful gown with a different neckline than the norm for this lace style. I wonder about the significance of the emeralds...

    And the mother of groom wins my prize for best royal jewels. Gorgeous! And she looked lovely in her gown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiaras!! And a radiantly happy bride.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did anyone else notice that Queen Maxima has lost a lot of weight and is looking superb!!! I wonder how she did it?? I loved the flowers and the colors and the bride's dress but I wish they didn't always carry the train but let it flow behind her especially on the steps for super cool effect. Thanks I do hope to see more of Europe's queens and princesses here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, or at least I thought it looked like she had lost weight. Either that or I want to meet her tailor. She looked amazing.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for bringing this back Charlotte! I love following the European royals... Just wondering why Swedish royal wedding is tiara fest, yet when Wills and Kate got married Kate's was the only tiara in sight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's evening vs. morning.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous coverage Charlotte, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia from Leominster14 June 2015 at 18:13

    So glad to see the Royal Digest back - I've loved all the colours used.

    It was a very understated look but the bride looked lovely and the style of the dress suited her perfectly. I loved her hair and the new tiara suits her well. The size is right on her and emeralds do seem to be her stone.

    I confess I didn't care for Victoria's gown - but many did like it. It looked the best in the photo of the siblings - a lovely idea and wonderful choice of colouring. Maxima looked fantastic and I really loved Mary's gown - it reminded me of an early one Diana wore that was breathtaking. Mathilda looked so lovely in blue. I was less keen on the shape of Mette-Marit’s skirt but the colour was nice on her. Madeleine looked amazing, given she’s due any day – a great choice – everyone looked so happy and the children were adorable.

    The flowers were amazing. I suppose the time of day does determine what is worn - tiaras in the morning would be a bit much. It's odd though - long dresses were worn for Princess Margret's wedding, for Sophie and Edward's if I recall correctly too. But not for the others. I don't really understand what the rules are. Perhaps an interesting subject for the blog.

    What a great place to start the revival of the Royal Digest - thank you Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderfully joyous event! I loved the tiara parade and the eclectic musical selections, too.

    Thanks for another brilliant blog, Charlotte! :o)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tammy from California14 June 2015 at 19:06

    WOW, a tiara lover's dream for sure! WOWOWOW!!! Crown Princess Victoria's is my favorite. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

    Charlotte: The bride is a reality show contestant? I am confused on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she was and has a very scandalous past, therefore that is why some strongly abhor her becoming a princess.

      Delete
    2. She was a glamour model and did a reality show. Where's the scandal?

      Delete
    3. Julia from Leominster15 June 2015 at 16:18

      I hate to say it but some of the past photos of her were shocking - I googled her early on and was appalled. I find it hard to see her as a princess - I'm an old fuddy in thinking that there should be some standards - but it was such a nice wedding, I'm doing my best. It's really up to the Swedes and if they aren't bothered, I'm thinking I shouldn't be either. But she does still dress so often to show off her er..assets. I was relieved the wedding dress was so demure - very lovely. She does have an interesting Swedish background - she is from an area where there is a unique language and some scholars are hoping that her marriage will bring attention to that.

      Delete
    4. I feel badly for her. Her wedding day and the Daily Mail can only say she's a former glamour model who scrubs up well. Her wedding day.

      I get what you're saying (harkening back to ye olden days of Koo Stark), but I would hope that everyone would let her move on from her past. If she starts behaving badly I'll criticise her.

      But she's one lucky woman. Carl Philip is hot.

      Delete
    5. bluhare, the DM headline was disgusting. I agree. But we shouldn't be too surprised...how many articles have they written without referring to Carole Middleton as a former flight attendant?

      Delete
    6. Could we agree to make this a Middleton free zone? Please? I really don't want to bring all that over here. If someone else wants to talk about it, great, but I'm not.

      Delete
    7. Excuse me. I thought it was relevant to the point you brought up.

      Delete
    8. I didn't say it wasn't. I just don't want to talk about any of the Middletons here. I thought I was polite; didn't it come across that way?

      Delete
    9. Julia from Leominster16 June 2015 at 06:11

      I'm trying to agree Bluhare - it's just that royals are held up as example and how do we explain things like that away - take your clothes off and you can still get a prince and be treated with deference by everyone. (And Sofia was a bit more than a glamour model.) But we went through this with Mette-Marit too and she has done quite well. I'm hoping Sofia will work out the same. She made a lovely bride.

      I will settle for hubby's reaction on looking at that infamous picture of Sofia (too much even for the Daily Mail - page three stuff) - after I explained hastily why I was looking at it - he commented - "at least she isn't scared of snakes."

      Delete
    10. I understand what you're saying, Julia, but don't people get any chance to redeem themselves?

      I think there's a discussion to be had about sexual mores and sexism here. Although I do agree with Mr. Leo about the snakes. :)

      Delete
    11. Julia from Leominster16 June 2015 at 20:15

      Chalk it up to my middle class morality - Bluhare - as it was put in My Fair Lady. I've been a royalist as long as I've been anything, and was maybe too much infuenced by my mum and nan's Cecil Beaton books that made the royals seem like they belong to a different world.

      As far back as Princess Margaret and Rodney, I've had to adjust that and always wondered where the line was - I thought playboy bunny - or Chippendale - I'm not sexist, the" kit off" applies to either men or women. Well, that's pretty much what we have with Sofia but I'm a sucker for a lovely royal wedding and tiaras, and that wedding was lovely and the couple much in love, so I'm trying to get by it.

      Don't think I'm sexist - I had a hiccup or too over princesses marrying personal trainers as well - but at least that work is generally thought "respectable." See what a old biddy I am! I know it's all an illusion anyway - royals have been behaving badly for as long as there have been royals - and I really do try to be equal about it - blaming Charles as much as Camilla for that debacle - although I think she was more the conniving party.

      At least, no real problems there with Sofia and have to admit I know little about that previous girlfriend that everyone seemed to like - so on we go. I'm not ready to turn into a republican yet, but if Princess Charlotte marries a Chippendale (although no offense meant to those gentlemen if that's what they want to do) I'll have to reconsider.

      Delete
    12. Julia, at his and Victoria's wedding reception, I recall Danielle thanking the king and queen for being so accepting of him and for the guidance they offered during the courtship. They put Victoria's happiness first and I gave them a lot of credit for that. And I believe they have been consistent with their other two children.

      If expectations had been different, I wonder if Queen Elizabeth's children would have enjoyed happier marriages... (Aside from Edward that is; he already benefited from mistakes made in the past.)

      Delete
    13. Yikes! I meant DANIEL. :))) Long day...sorry.

      Delete
    14. Julia from Leominster16 June 2015 at 23:22

      I certainly agree that people should marry who they want - it was more a question of making her an HRH and a royal duchess. I'm probably back with the idea of morganatic marriages and that may be a sore point in Sweden where until recenty royals lost their standing by marrying perfectly respectable commoners.

      You may have a point about Charles with a caveat. Even if there hadn't been questions about her - I doubt he would have married Camilla so young and she didn't wait for him. I suspect she later encouraged his marriage to the very young Diana.

      The other British royals I think married for love and it just didn't work out. Anne seemed generally in love with Mark Phillips - he just proved to be a bad husband (over and over.) Andrew seemed truly in love with poor Sarah - it was considered a progressive match at the time due to her past. I think he may still love her in a way but doubt they will remarry. Maybe he would have been better off with Koo -later interviews make her sound pretty sensible- hard to say. Nothing has stopped him from remarrying - I suspect he enjoys his single life - hopefully not too much.

      Carl-Philip seems mostly involved with racing cars anyway, so it's not too clear how active they will be in public life but they remain very close in the line of succession.

      Delete
  15. The wedding was beautiful and the song selection was perfect! And can we talk about Princess Sofia's new tiara?! GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched this whole wedding from start to finish. It was gorgeous. I cried. He is so handsome, she is beautiful. I loved the dress and romance. This is true love I loved the songs during the service and at the end and carriage ride. God bless them may they have a long life of happiness and love together!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found the video on YouTube and watched the whole thing. While I can overlook past misdeeds (we were all young and stupid once) and the hideous tattoo on the bride's back, I am appalled by their choice of "Fix You" and "What Have You Done for Me Lately." I hope someday they will wince with embarrassment over those choices. The Countess of Wessex looked appalled, also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This weeding party was really awesome, guipure lace dress was more gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...